Discount travel is probably the low-budget travelers’ best friend when it is important to get the most out of your trips and tours for less than it would have usually cost. However, there are certain things to do or unusual ideas take into consideration if you really want to save money without sacrificing having a memorable time out there.
1. Cheap Lodging: While it may be alluring to book into and stay at a five-star hotel during your trips, it may not be the best thing to do-at least financially. You can still have decent lodging without punching a hole through your pockets. You can just do some pre-departure research into the hotels in the destination city. Then, look for low-cost ones with decent facilities, good customer reviews and easy access to local transportation. You can also use budget motels if you want to.
2. Home Exchanges: Another discount travel trick is to arrange for home exchanges, instead of even paying for lodging. Usually, you will be staying at the home of another family during your visit to that city. By going this route, you are actually saving money both for lodging and, most times too, for food. You can just search online for the destination country’s or city’s tourism council; they usually have information on home exchanges.
3. Discount Travel Clubs: Joining a discount travel club is also a great way of saving money during your journey. You can find them advertised or listed in travel magazines, newspapers or online by doing a simple search for them.
4. Rent Older Cars: Old does not always equal bad. This is especially true when you are far away from home. You would be better off renting vehicles that are just a little older and more affordable and stay within budget than cruising with the latest muscle car, unless you just want to impress the natives at you bank balance’s expense. It is easy to get a decent car without burning your pockets.
5. Shop for the Best: Another way to have a good time-for less money-during your tours is to do a little homework of your own. You can simply go online and compare and contrast the different travel packages, air fares, and others that different companies may be offering and select the best one for you. You can also find them in your local magazines and newspapers or even your favorite travel magazine (and its online version). You would be surprised how easy it may be to get a good travel deal.
Discount travel has always been a reality with many people. You can be one of them if you take these tips a little seriously.